|Book and Lyrics by
OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN II
TARA JEANNE VALLEE
| Music Direction by
EXTENDED BY POPULAR DEMAND!
Now Playing Through January 12, 2014 • Mainstage
Be whisked away to a faraway land with this timeless family musical! The King and I follows Anna, a British school teacher hired by the King of Siam to help modernize his country. Their relationship, while full of conflict is marked by a love neither can admit. This Tony Award-winner for Best Musical features some of musical theatre’s loveliest and well-known music including “Shall We Dance?,” “Hello, Young Lovers,” and “Getting To Know You.” The King and I replaces the previously announced Once Upon A Mattress.
Production Sponsors: Vernon L. Skinner, Jr., Kathleen Quinn & Senator Jennie and Mr. William Forehand
(Recommended for ages 5 and up)
- The Washington Post "...hits the right notes of epic and intimate"
- BroadwayWorld.com "Long Live The King"
- DC Theatre Scene "How do I love Olney’s production ofThe King and I? Let me count the ways."
- DC Metro Theater Arts "magical and enchanting"
- Our Kids "...proves why this Rodgers and Hammerstein musical is so popular."
- MD Theatre Guide "If you are looking to entertain your family and friends visiting for the holidays, then The King and I is a delectable treat..."
- Washington Speaks "Olney's 'King and I' dazzles sold-out audience"
- We Love DC "a heartfelt musical with beautiful songs"
- ShowBiz Radio "spectacularly colorful costuming and lighting, exciting choreography, and dramatic drive"
- Arlington Weekly News TV "Somebody should take the current musical production of 'The King and I' at the Olney Theatre Center, directly to Broadway!"
- Outspoken "a triumphant production"