ABOUT THE SHOW
Sure to be the must-see new play of 2014, COLOSSAL is an extraordinary story of emotional and physical endurance, love, and family. Structured like a football game (performed in four quarters with a pre-show training session and half-time show), COLOSSAL tells in vivid, physical flashback the story of Young Mike, a college football player who took a hit in a game that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Mike now relives the memory of his accident with the help of a live football squad onstage, finally confronting his demons in the play’s extremely powerful and uplifting conclusion. Featuring Michael Patrick Thornton, star of ABC's Grey's Anatomy spin-off Private Practice. Winner of the Kennedy Center’s Jean Kennedy Smith Playwriting Award. (Recommended for ages 14 and up)
Colossal is a recipient of a 2014 Edgerton Foundation New American Plays award.
Colossal was first produced in a National New Play Network Rolling World Premiere by Olney Theatre Center (Olney, MD), Mixed Blood Theatre (Minneapolis, MN), Dallas Theater Center (Dallas, TX), Company One Theatre (Boston, MA), and Southern Rep Theatre (New Orleans, LA) with support from the National New Play Network's Continued Life of New Plays Fund. For more information, please visit nnpn.org.
Approximately 1 hours and 15 minutes with no intermission.
Kevin White and Rossana Salvadori and Patricia Woodbury and FTI Consulting
MEET THE CAST
ARTICLES ABOUT THIS PRODUCTION
- WASHINGTON POST: Olney’s smashmouth drama ‘Colossal’ tackles football, disability and sexuality
- THE GAZETTE: Rolling premiere of ‘Colossal’ opens in Olney
- WASHINGTON POST: ‘Colossal’ at Olney Theatre Center aims for the goal post, and succeeds
- DC METRO THEATER ARTS: ‘Colossal’ at Olney Theatre Center
- DC THEATRE SCENE: Colossal at Olney Theatre Center
- TALKIN' BROADWAY: Colossal Olney Theatre Center
- DRAMATURGY BLOG: Colossal Blog
- AUDIENCE CONTEXT GUIDE: Colossal Audience Context Guide
- PROGRAM: Colossal Program