Olney Theatre Center enjoys a rich tradition of bringing quality theatre productions to the community for 78 years.
The theater's founder, Steve Cochran, dreamed originally of opening a straw-hat theater in a relaxing country setting accessible to both Washington and Baltimore. On July 25, 1938, the theater opened its doors for the first time with a production of Ladislaus Bus-Fekete's The Lady Has a Heart, which starred Elissa Landi of "movie fame." Early playbills dubbed the playhouse "The South's First Professional Summer Theatre."
Over the years, some of the biggest names in theater and film have appeared on our stages, including: