They’re back! Chicago’s most innovative theatre company, The Hypocrites, returns with an encore engagement of their critically-acclaimed, immersive and family friendly version of Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Pirates of Penzance.
In the preposterous, topsy-turvy world of Pirates, Frederic was mistakenly sent as a young boy to apprentice for a band of sappy pirates. Now, at the age of 21, he falls head-over-heels for the Modern Major General’s daughter and renounces the buccaneer life, or so he thinks.
Enjoy the show from the promenade, where you sit on-stage and move around the set as the action dictates. And don’t forget to bring the kids! They can hang out in the ball pit and experience these Gilbert and Sullivan classics in a way they’re sure to love and never forget. Their last gig at Olney Theatre earned two Helen Hayes Award nominations, so the secret is out — The Hypocrites’ substance is as rich as their style.
Don't forget to complete the repertory! The Hypocrites will also be introducing Olney Theatre audiences to their zany take on H.M.S. Pinafore.
W.S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan
Directed and Adapted by
"the most carefree and joyous events D.C. theater has served up"The Washington Post
- The Washington Post: Gilbert and Sullivan with guitars and beach balls
- DC Metro Theater Arts: 'The Pirates of Penzance' by The Hypocrites at Olney Theatre Center
- Prince George's Sentinel: 'Pirates' and 'H.M.S. Pinafore' are Exceptional Performances
- DC Theatre Scene: The Pirates of Penzance, Hypocrites' style at Olney
- KindieMusicDC: Theater with Kids: Hit the Beach with Olney's Pirates of Penzance