We believe that everyone should be able to enjoy quality theatre. Below are some of the ways we try to meet the needs of as many patrons as possible. Please reach out to us if you have concerns about your visit.
Assisted listening devices
For listening assistance during performances, our infrared system, which amplifies the sound on stage, is available free of charge. Please ask the house manager for assistance. (This service is not available on the third Wednesday evening of each production's run when Audio-described performances are occurring.)
GalaPro is a revolutionary, innovative app for accessibility and translation, which enhances the audience’s experience for live performances. Patrons using the app can now enjoy the show with subtitles on their smartphone or tablet. All services are provided in real-time.
GalaPro is the first-of-its-kind mobile application that enables the attendees to not only see and hear the performance, but to understand what is being said as well.
GalaPro requires a one-time installation of the app. It is easily accessible and can be downloaded for free from the App Store/Google Play. Then, the user simply chooses the venue, the show they wish to see, and service(s). Our unique technology is designed specifically to adhere to the theater. Airplane mode is always on so there will be no messages or phone calls, and a black screen with red font that only the individual looking at the screen can read. There are no bright lights to disturb anyone.
Please alert House Management if you plan to utilize this service.
Sign-interpretation is available for each Mainstage Production on the dates below. Email email@example.com if you plan to utilize this service. Please note that dates are subject to change.
Dates for Sign-interpreted performances during the 2022-2023 Season:
- Dance Nation: Thursday, October 20th at 7:45pm
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast: Thursday, December 1st at 8:00pm
- A Christmas Carol: Thursday, December 15th at 7:45pm
- Kinky Boots: Thursday, March 2nd at 8:00pm
- A Nice Indian Boy: Thursday, March 30th at 7:45pm
- The World Goes 'Round: Thursday, May, 11th at 8:00pm
- Fela!: Thursday, July 27th at 8:00pm
Audio-described performances are offered on the dates below. Audience members may enjoy free broadcast pre-show program notes and descriptions of the action, scenery and costumes during pauses in the dialogue from any seat in the theater. The Metropolitan Washington Ear provides this service. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to utilize this service. Please note that dates are subject to change.
Dates for Audio-described performances during the 2022-2023 Season:
- Dance Nation: Wednesday, October 12th at 7:45pm
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast: Wednesday, November 23rd at 8:00pm
- A Christmas Carol: Wednesday, December 14th at 7:45pm
- Kinky Boots: Wednesday, February 22nd at 8:00pm
- A Nice Indian Boy: Wednesday, March 22nd at 7:45pm
- The World Goes 'Round: Wednesday, May, 3rd at 8:00pm
- Fela!: Wednesday, July 19th at 8:00pm
Olney Theatre Center is committed to providing accessible theater to everyone. Visit this page for dates and more information. If you or someone in your family would like to attend a sensory-friendly performance, please contact our box office to purchase tickets.